So you have come across an issue or not getting something to work the way you think it should, so you have decided to post a thread about it. Well there are a few things you can do to better help yourself and not be, what has been coined, a help vampire in most community forums.
1. Trial and error. Try and retry different things. Keep a mental (or if you need it written) notes of what you have tried and the outcome. However, if your issue is related to your billing please do not try and trouble shoot it.
2. Research. A majority of the time members issue has already been addressed else where. So look before being a duplicate.
Forums Search - do more than one search by trying different wording.
FAQ Section - Section on our forums with most of the common FAQs about WowStead.
Google- Google is really your friend... do more than one search by trying different wording.
3. Ticket. Make sure your issue isn't an issue that should be handled via the tickets. If you feel any information that may be request needs to be kept private, submit a ticket. If you feel you need to have a tech look at the issue, submit a ticket. These issues will include issues with Billing and Subscription Alterations.
Once you have narrowed down that there is an issue, requesting some help or more information would be your next step. However, there are some things you should follow when posting to get the most help in the shortest amount of time.
Before you post make sure of a few things. If you are going to post please follow through. Nothing is more annoying to those that help, than to take time they could be helping someone else to help a One-Time poster. Remember that the Forums are not a replacement for Tech Support. You may receive assistance from other members not of the WowStead or Curse staff.
Please also take the time to read through the Forum Rules prior to posting. Failure to follow Forum Rules can result in your post being locked and/or deleted.
1. Correct Area. Find the correct area to be posting your question or issue. If it is a forum issue look for a category labeled forums. Also look at the category's description. If you can't find something exact, then look at the other posts in the category before posting to see if those are related.
2. Necroing. Really, don't do it. If the post is over a month old create a new one. If need be link back to the older one, but don't necro old postings.
3. Hyjacking. Again don't do it. If you have an issue that is different than the OPs don't steal his thread with your issue. Make your own. Doing this could get you ignored. It's just rude.
4. Title. How you title your post is fairly important. If your title is generic or not specific to your issue people will either ignore it or over look it. Remember it's a title not your life story... so keep it simple.
Wrong: HEEEEEELLLLLPPPP ME!!!1111!!!!!
Wrong: Its brken, Help!
Wrong: How do I...
Wrong: I tried to put a image into my avatar but now its not showing up and i have tried in chrome and safari but it only seems to work in...
Correct: Forum signatures not displaying
Correct: Roster not properly updating
5. Information. Okay you have an issue... , but unless you give much needed information about the situation not much help can be given to you. It's like going to the doctor and saying you don't feel well. Some common information to include in your posting:
Link to where the issue is happening
Character (and character information) if a character is involved
Armory links (to guild and/or character) usually for updating or incorrect information
OS (this is the operating system you are running on)
Browser(s) (don't forget the version)
What you have tried and the result
Specific steps to replicate what you have done
Errors or notices you might be getting
Screenshots (if it seems to be a bit of a visual bug)
What the final outcome you are trying to achieve
1. Follow up. Return back to your post to see if any information was requested from you, and answer.
2. Supply more information. If you have tried something or found something new you think may help post it.
3. Continue solution hunting. Don't stop trying to find the solution yourself. The only except would be to billing related issues in which case do not try to alter anything.
4. Notify of solution. Post if any suggestions or tips help correct the issue or if you find it on your own. For all you know someone down the road may end up with the same issue and your help will help them.
Types of Replies:
1. GIYF - This type of reply usually means that the answer is fairly easy to find with a search either of the forums or google.
2. LMGTFY - usually shows you what keywords were used to find the answer. Also may have other information you might need.
3. Submit a Ticket - the issue or information need is needing to be kept private and not post publicly.
4. Check the FAQ - the issue or information is located in the FAQ section of the forums.
WowStead Official Tech Support Postings
If you need further assistance please use one of the options below. PMs sent to this account will not be responded to.